Wednesday 22 February 2017

Ramble #7

Another video for you all this week! This week's video is a motivational "Pep Talk" from Kid President. Just what we need at this stage of the semester!


This week we listened to John Finch from MB. Education speak about literacy with ICT and copyright law. I thoroughly enjoyed John's presentation! He is a very engaging and interesting speaker. I particularly enjoyed his good stories and use of humour throughout the presentation.

What John discussed about copyright law was extremely enlightening. I previously did not know how stringent copyright law actually is. I had no idea that people posting cover versions of their favourite artists' songs are violating copyright law. I see many of these cover songs on YouTube quite frequently. It must be the case that these people have received written permission from the artist to cover these songs. 

When John began speaking about copyright law in relation to schools/education I learned a lot. I had no idea about the "10% rule". However I appreciate the rule because it is easy to understand. I also am happy to hear that schools are becoming more aware of the copyright law and taking measures to inform their teachers about the rules. I sure wish I had written down the website John showed us that quickly allows us as teachers to check whether what we are doing is violating copyright law in Canada or not. Darn it! However, I do have the booklet that John gave us which will serve as a tremendous resource for me. 

I have decided to do the video project all by myself. This is for logistical reasons. Group work is hard having to coordinate meeting times and what not. I have been brainstorming ideas for the video for a few days now and I am excited to execute on one of my ideas! I plan on shooting the video using my iPhone, which should suffice. Also,  I am looking forward to breaking out the iMovie software again and playing around! 

Until next week,
Justin 



1 comment:

  1. Good ol' Kid President! I am pleased that you enjoyed and learned from John's talk - he is a smart and good guy. The web site is: http://copyrightdecisiontool.ca/ I also enjoy your 'thing' of adding a video to each post ! ;-)

    ReplyDelete

Ramble #15 Greetings! This is my final blog post for the Internet For Educators course! We have come a long way! As we all think towards...