Tuesday 28 February 2017

Ramble #8

This week's video is from Edutopia. It is an informative video regarding project-based learning. We have been learning about project-based learning in other classes and it is something that genuinely interests me. Anyway, check it out! 



I was going to talk about digital citizenship and literacy in this week's post.......

BUUUUUTTTTTT, I couldn't find the inspiration within myself.... believe I tried..... I just couldn't.

Instead, this week I want to talk about YouTube.

This past week I was wracking my brain for video ideas. It is times like last week that remind me how truly un-creative I am. I spent an absurd amount of brain effort trying to think of an idea to no avail. I found myself going to YouTube to look for ideas. I searched things like "Great video ideas" and "Funny videos" to find inspiration. There were cool ideas, but nothing that resonated with me.

As I was scouring YouTube for video ideas I had a major realization. Too many things in life we take for granted. For me, YouTube is definitely one of those things. If we really take a step back and look at YouTube for what it is; it is mind boggling! I seem to remember hearing that 300 hours of video are uploaded to YouTube every minute. I don't know if that is a correct statistic, but I could definitely believe it! YouTube has a video for almost everything you can think of. It is not just cat videos anymore...

I use YouTube everyday. I watch a variety of content on YouTube... everything from podcasts, educational videos, vloggers, and prank videos. YouTube is truly the new T.V for myself. I spend far more time on YouTube than any other media platform (Netflix is a close second). I often fall into the ever present "recommended video" trap. I will sit down to watch one video and before you know it I have watched 14 more videos and end on a completely different subject. This is the power of YouTube. It is simply people sharing with people in ALL forms you can imagine and it is AMAZING!

Anyway, I just wanted to take sometime to appreciate YouTube this week.

Oh and I did finally think of a video idea. YouTube had nothing to do with my epiphany though...

Until next week,
Justin   

1 comment:

Ramble #15 Greetings! This is my final blog post for the Internet For Educators course! We have come a long way! As we all think towards...