Tuesday 20 February 2018

Tech Task #9

I have many resources I use online. However, recently I have been using one in particular and really finding a lot of value in it. I have mentioned this resource in one of my previous blog posts but it is so good that it deserves its own post!

The resource I am talking about is Mr. Andersen from Bozeman Science on YouTube.

He can be found here: https://www.youtube.com/user/bozemanbiology

He is a veteran science teacher that has taken the time to make hundreds of high-quality instructional videos on various topics. Most of the content pertains to the core sciences (chemistry, biology, physics). However, there is also topics discussed that fall outside of these core sciences.

He is an incredible teacher who has the ability to boil down very complex ideas and concepts to their essential elements. The graphics he makes for his videos are also well done and always aid in the instruction. 

This resource can be used in two ways. First, it can be used as a "content review" resource for us teachers. Many times, us as teachers need a brush up on the material that we are currently teaching or will be teaching in the future. This is the case for me right now. I will be teaching Grade 12 Biology in a few weeks and need a refresher on some on the concepts. Secondly, Bozeman Science can be used as a supplemental resource for our students. I could definitely see myself creating a classroom YouTube page in which I plunk a bunch of Mr. Andersen's videos in a playlist for my students to view outside of class. Also, I could see myself instructing my students on a topic and then playing Mr. Andersen's video to reinforce the information. 

The limitation of the resource is that it is primarily focused on science content. Many of us will not be teaching science when we get our jobs so this resource will unfortunately useless. Other than that there are no downsides to this resource. It is simply a great educational tool!

Here is Mr. Andersen's most viewed video!





1 comment:

  1. I'm also all for the YouTube videos! My TT9 was also about a guy that posts math questions and step by step instructions on how to solve them.
    I am SO glad I happened to click on your blog to comment on because I am going to watch all his videos before I have to teach bio in less than two weeks!

    ReplyDelete

Ramble #15 Greetings! This is my final blog post for the Internet For Educators course! We have come a long way! As we all think towards...